BLUE FASHION FOR BLUE GROWTH KENYA
During the Sustainable Blue Economy Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, in November 2018, NORA co-organised a side-event on Blue Fashion for Blue Growth together with FAO, the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth Fashion Council.
BLUE FASHION SHOWCASE
The side-event included both a fashion showcase and a panel session. For the Blue Fashion showcase, Deepa Dosaja, Jamil Walji and Rift Valley Leather produced new garments with fish leather materials from the Kenyan company Victorian Foods. Additionally, Brazilian designer Barbara della Rovere showcased bags and accessories, and NORA brought three of the outfits from the Blue Fashion Challenge.
BLUE FASHION PANEL
NORA both moderated and participated in the panel session, which reflected on the potential of linkages between Blue Growth and the fashion industry, and the potential for partnerships between governments, industry leaders and designer.
- Gabriel Rugalema, FAO Representative in Kenya
- Óluva Klettskarð, Member of Parliament of the Faroe Islands
- Daniel Hatton, Founding Director of the Commonwealth Fashion Council
- Jákup Sørensen, Adviser at NORA
- Ana Silva, Head of Sustainability at TINTEX Textiles,
- James Ambani, CEO of Victorian Foods
- Ira Kidemu, Managing Director of Victorian Foods
Thanks to the Strategic Fashion Development Consortium for cooperation on the ground in Kenya. All photos All photos ©FAO/Luis Tato.